In its earliest days, the city of Portland was located largely on the west side of the Willamette River. Among its many churches was First Christian Church.
As Portland grew to the east side, First Christian decided to plant a new congregation in that expanding population. This was the year 1892. They named themselves ‘Central Christian.’
This church began in a rented storefront at what is now 34th and SE.Main. In about 1904, it was re-named East Side Christian Church.